Friday, August 27, 2010

Playlist : August 29th - September 3rd, 2010

Now that the decade themes are out of my system, apart from a still beating passion for 1970s rock, I've gone back to your regularly scheduled programming of something old and something new.
  • Jay-Z - The Blueprint : I've always associated The Ruler's Back from this LP with Ben Cousins "Charges don't stick to dude, he's Teflon. I'm too sexy for jail like I'm Right Said Fred I'm not guilty now give me back my bread." Given this is Ben's week, here's Jay Z. Plus, I hear Jay-Z is supporting U2 and may be coming to little old Perth.
  • Best Coast - Crazy For You : Read a few things about these guys in Rolling Stone and Spin. They seem to be everywhere at the moment. The album sounds like summer holiday tunes with a hangover. Just perfect for chilly Perth mornings.
  • Arcade Fire - The Suburbs : All I know of Arcade Fire is their decent album, Funeral. Everyone everywhere seems to be raving about their new cut. I thought I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.
  • The Weepies - Say I Am You : The Weepies fourth record Be My Thrill is due out at the end of August aka Now. In preparation and because I didn't pre-order it, I am giving Say I Am You a spin.
  • Ted Nugent - Great Gonzos - The Best of Ted Nugent : I know next to nothing about Ted Nugent. Except that while digging around for 70s albums, I came across a few tracks that made me smile. This is balls and all cheesy rock from the decade that gave us mission brown and lime green. Check out the cover art for an obvious giveaway of what you're in for.
  • Cowboy Junkies - Renmin Park : I'm a big Cowboy Junkies fan, and this is their new one. It is a little more electronic sounding in parts than I'm used to from the Junkies; and my first listen didn't take my fancy. But I do like this band, which is why I'm willing to give it a fair second listen. You should always afford bands a second listen when they've done some excellent work in the past. Governments too...
  • Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III : I'm still not over my 1970s music kick, even as I continue my 50s culture obsession. Led Zep I was on a list a little while ago and II has never been a big favourite for me, so III comes next. Besides... Zeppelin Rules! \m/
  • Ozi Batla - Wild Colonial - Another album I probably haven't given enough of a chance. Not that I disliked this the first time, but that was the only listen so far. Time to take it for another turn. If nothing else, Batla has taught me that a good word for Aussie rappers/heads that sounds like Hip Hop's worst N word, is Digga.
  • Digable Planets - Blowout Comb : I'm not sure it's been that long since I heard this album, but I have been meaning to hear it in it's entirety. Quite a few songs end up on high rated playlists, but it feels a long time since heard it all. Brooklyn smooth Jazz Hop beats all.
  • Bruce Springsteen - The River : My renewed interest in vinyl has meant I've been listening to albums I own on record. One of them is The Boss' double LP The River that sounds impressive on wax. I wanted to listen to the CD for contrast. Nothing would beat the gate-fold artwork and lyrics printed on the record sleeve though.There's a scene in Jerry McGuire where Jerry, drinking, slips on Drive All Night and now it's all I can think of when I hear it.
  • Eli Paperboy Reed – Come And Get It : Blue eyed soul might sound like a total misnomer, but I have read some good reviews of this album (again from RS and Spin). A quick scan through and it sounds like classic Motown or Stax remixed with a white session singer. Which isn’t entirely terrible, but still not a patch on the original. Except these are original songs, they just don’t sound like it.
Well, that's it. Until next week, be excellent to each other and all that good stuff. As I noted to @geoff9cow after he recently quoted Dr King about hate, "Life's too short to be pissed off all the time." And Edwrad Furlong said that, so it must be true.

Don't get hung up man, stay cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment