Thursday, September 1, 2011

Playlist : September 5th - 9th, 2011

Hello and welcome to another Work Tunes.

This week's list is fairly diverse and includes some new selections as well as old, Oz Hip Hop, 90s alternatunes, ATCQ inspired by Michael Rappaport's documentary, 60s/70s cuts and disc one of an 80s underground compilation.

Let's get right into it.
  1. Velvet Underground
  2. Bob Dylan
  3. R.E.M.
  4. Blitzen Trapper
  5. The Replacements
Song of the Week : Nas - Not Going Back



On the drive from Rockingham to Kwinana on Saturday, I saw some of the dodgiest people and places I’ve seen in a while. I pulled up into my old local petrol station to fuel the car and there’s six blokes squeezed into a beaten up SS Commodore, smoking at the pump, mind. And of course, giving me the absolute death stares.

It made me think about a time when I would have asked them wtf they were staring at. But I just don’t have that mentality now and I can’t believe that anyone does. But it’s everywhere you look down there. It’s some kind of pre-emptive defense mechanism where they just treat everyone who isn’t their own as if they mean to do them harm or should be harmed.

Shit goes deep but it probably stems from feeling like you’re backed into a corner and there isn’t a way out. I used to feel it and I don’t anymore. My song is Nas – I’m Not Going Back. And though it’s all about not going back to being a criminal, for me it’s about how I just don’t belong down there anymore.

Goodbye for Now
Enjoy the tunes. Happy Father's Day to all the Australian Dads for Sunday. I hope your is as good as mine.

As always, asalaam alikum.

No comments:

Post a Comment