Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Playlist : November 14th - 18th, 2011

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

Not much to report on the week just passed besides sick kids and a sore thumb. I don't think I've ever felt anything as painful as a chunk of flesh missing from the corner of my thumb. At least no pain I've felt has ever put me close to passing out like this did. But enough whining, it's music time.

What have I got? I'm glad you asked. I grabbed the first Sweet Relief compilation after realising I hadn't heard Summer of Drugs in years. For fans of Community, I have Donald Glover's (Troy) debut commercial release as Childish Gambino. I was late to Community, so I heard the Gambino mxtapes before I knew who he was. I also grabbed some Billy Bragg because his new album is out.

Twitter buddy @kirstimelville made me pick Wham!'s The Final after a chat about 80s music and I grabbed Lou Reed's New York to balance the yin and yang of that decade in song. Add Springsteen's Ghost of Tom Joad thanks to #occupy, Gram Parsons, some 90s stuff from Dinosaur Jr and the forgotten SPDFGH and all we have left is Tim Rogers.

Check it out:
  1. Wilco
  2. Josh Rouse
  3. U2
  4. Veronica Falls
  5. Deer Tick



    Deer Tick’s Let’s All Go To The Bar made me sit up and say ‘oh hell yes!’ while working away. The sentiment was instantly relatable at this stage in the week, but the sound is decent too. It’s a bit of a ruckus in the early 50s rockabilly vein but with a bar song sing-along chorus refrain. It stomps and rocks and runs around drunk shouting everybody drinks.

    It’s a good thing, I think, that Deer Tick can do songs like this as well as the more subdued and sombre tracks they have. I wouldn’t say I’m a massive fan of the band, but they do sing a mean tune. So picture that first Friday beer when you slip this song on. Cheers!

    Cheerio
    Tah tah for now then, kids. Stay safe out there and have an excellent weekend.

    Before I go, if you're an old school head like me, you might be ineterested in parting with some cash to preserve Style Wars. Henry Chalfant is raising money through Kickstarter and if you pay just $25 you can get yourself the 2 disc DVD or Style Wars Revisited. I've thrown some cash down because Style Wars is one of the touchstones of all Hip Hop culture. It should one day be preserved in the Smithsonian or something. Have a look.

    In a much sadder piece of old school news, last week saw the passing of Dwight Arrington Myers, better know as Heavy D. 'Hev' was a rap pioneer and the among the creators of the early 90s soft r&b hip hop sound. More recently he was a movie actor, with roles in Cider House Rules and the just released Tower Heist. I have to say thank you to Heavy D for being a part of my burgeoning journey through Hip Hop when even his rap break in Janet Jackson's Alright felt like a massive acknowledgement of 'my' culture by mainstream Pop.

    Rest in peace Brother Heavy. Peace be upon you. And to you all, hasala malakim.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment