Friday, February 17, 2012

Playlist : Love is the Electric Bite Marked Exile (Feb 20th - 24th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.


Happy belated Valentine's Day, cherubs. I was once under the mistaken belief that Valentine's was akin to "Love Day" (as portrayed on The Simpsons #5F09); made up by card and chocolate companies to sell product. Not so, sweet cynics, it did in fact originate in 496 AD in honour of several Christian martyrs named Valentinus. It became about romantic love in the 14th century thanks to Chaucer. Given all this, I'm quite happy to take the day as one particular celebration of not just my love for my wife and soul mate, but the joy of romance itself. So, no cynicism from me - all you need is love.


And music. You need music too. As for me, what I need this week is Exile on Main Street after watching the excellent documentary Stones In Exile; Love Is Hell because I am seeing young Grizzly Adams next weekend; I need The Cars, just 'cause it has been so very long that I almost forgot they existed; Brother Ali's latest EP; The Militia; Bob Dylan's mellow 70s New Morning; the debut self-titled LP from Mount Washington; a true classic with Electric Ladyland; Stiff Little Fingers, inspired again by High Fidelity; and finally a Mojo compilation of music that is supposedly 'the roots' of Nirvana.


Check it out:

  1. Hilltop Hoods
  2. Paul Simon
  3. Tori Amos
  4. The Rolling Stones
  5. Pearl Jam

Song of the Week : The Beta Band - Dry The Rain



The night my wife and Miss 5 spent at PMH, I watched High Fidelity. It’s a great film, simply for its overarching theme of music’s place in everyone’s life. It made me make my wife a mix CD (complete with artwork) of all the songs that used to be “ours” when we were dating and then at our wedding.


I've listened to the soundtrack this week, but I also checked out The Beta Band because of the scene where Cusack plays Dry The Rain and says he’ll now sell 5 copies of Three EPs. I thought “I’d totally have bought one”. Turns out Dry The Rain is the most obvious single off the set. It’s very Beatlesque in a jangly UK pop way, and it starts slow and quirky before kicking into gear with a refrain that has been stuck in my head for days – “I will be alright, I will be alright…”


The most fantastic quote from High Fidelity that sums up how the film makes me feel is from Cusack’s character Rob, who says:
“Books, records, films -- these things matter. Call me shallow but it's the fuckin' truth…”
Amen, brother.


Toodle-oooh

If you're wondering why the crazy title on this week's playlist, it's something I always do at work. I name my playlist based on a few titles. I've been meaning to post my blog entries with the right name for ages, and never got around to it. I'll most likely forget from week to week, but I'll try to keep it up. 


And there we have it. Another week, another playlist. I'll be hard at work next week on a new campaign and looking forward to the Ryan Adams concert on Saturday night. In the meantime, I hope your respective weeks are sensational and you stumble across some music you've never heard that changes your life.


Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment