Saturday, March 17, 2012

Seriously Liquid Chairlift Pass (March 19th - 23rd)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.


Good tidings to you fellow tunesters. It's been another fairly uneventful week with just the one exception - new iPad! Unfortunately, this lovely piece of new technology comes with the bittersweet realistion that it is for a very frightening milestone birthday in June. I won't say what milestone that is, but let's just say my life will begin...


On to the music and let us never speak of birthdays again. To ease my pain and also show my age, I have some Saturday Night Fever; some INXS and some Phil Collins. Having just seen Scorsese's brilliant George Harrison documentary, I've plugged All Things Must Pass in. There's some old school rap from Queensbridge legend MC Shan and some GZA thanks to a workmate. Also from a workmate I have Chairlift. Spin put out a free compilation of SXSW 2012 acts and that's here and it's all rounded off nicely with Iggy Pop.


Check it out:
  1. Hilltop Hoods
  2. Farrar,Johnson,Parker,Yames
  3. The Cult
  4. Bruce Springsteen
  5. Jack's Mannequin

Song of the Week : Television - See No Evil



This week's song is literally the song of my week. It's been following me around every day. It's been stuck in my head. It's popped up on randomised playlists more than once. I even had a dream where someone was busking and singing it! So I figured this song has worked hard to make itself my SOTW and who am I not to reward effort. So, without further ado, congratulations to: Television - See No Evil.


I am sure I've made these guys SOTW before, their debut album Marquee Moon is one of my desert island discs and the vinyl in excellent condition is a white whale for me. At least ten years ahead of its time, the 1977 release is a hybrid of proto-punk and the arty wankery of people like the Velvet Underground. Punks with a brain, basically.


See No Evil is a post-punk song written before punk broke. It has a touch of new wave about it and even elements of 90s indie rock. The line "I understand those destructive urges" has been running through my brain on loop all week. I must be feeling like a riot :) I hope it doesn't make you guys riot.

Laters

Thanks for stopping by. Hopefully you find some new music this week. If you haven't heard Marquee Moon, where this week's song of the week was taken from, check it out. It's one of those albums everyone should hear. 


May your weekend be full of magic. Go Eagles!


Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment