Friday, October 26, 2012

Pop Party Tribe Tantrums (October 29th - November 2nd)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

It's almost bedtime on Friday night / Saturday morning again. I'm just ripping a few CDs for my list. Have to be up early tomorrow otherwise I won't have any time to get out and do something before the Paul Kelly film/gig at Astor. So keeping that in mind, I best be quick about this.

I had all but forgotten this album existed, so I am listening to Pop. I can't go anywhere online without hearing about Kendrick Lamar, so that is here. For some reason I thought about Vetiver last week and I chose Tight Knit. There's a good clutch of 80s albums here from Joe Jackson, 10,000 Maniacs and Break Machine (Yes! Break Machine!). The brand new Evil Eddie release is here, with that great Golden Age track on it. All that's left then is the funk of Fitz & the Tantrums and Syl Johnson and a free compilation from Reddit.  

Check it out:

  1. Sonic Youth
  2. Guns n' Roses
  3. Hall & Oates
  4. Evil Eddie
  5. Son Volt

Song of the Week : that dog - Grunge Couple



This week's SOTW is from the compilation Geffen rarities Vol.1 (was there ever a volume 2?!) Remember that one? I think mine came free with a copy of Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies. 

When it came out, I was at uni and I was totes grunge, along with my totes grunge girlfriend of the time (that sounds casual, but we were together for 5 years). We loved this song Grunge Couple. The irony is, it's a total piss-take, but we completely ignored that because we liked being a "grunge couple".

As for the track itself, as mentioned it's definitely satire. It has not just lyrical but instrumental grunge clichés thrown in; like the distorted vocals, the screaming, the phased bass line. Then there's lyrics about chokers and flannel and boots. 

So picture, if you dare, a young and ultimately more idealistic Me decked out in denim and flannel with a nice chunky pair of Docs on, cruising around in his purple Mk II Cortina (column shift), girlfriend beside him in her floral dress and equally chunky Docs, that dog blaring through the tape deck from a dubbed copy of Geffen Rarities. What an idiot :)


Tah Tah

Thanks for stopping by. Perthies, get out in the 33+ sunshine this weekend, but stay away from our shark friends who are circling Mullaloo Beach. And sharks, "Perthies are friends. Not food". *Jaws Theme*

Hasala malakim.

Post Script


I didn't post this last night because I was a bit tired-eyed and wanted to be sure I didn't type anything bizarre purple monkey dishwasher. I have to go and tizzy myself up for Paul Kelly now. Play safe kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment