Saturday, November 24, 2012

Notorious Civilian Shadow Gang GRRR! (November 26th - 30th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

Another busy weekend ahead, so I'm cramming as much of this post in as I can tonight (Friday). I may well wait until late Saturday afternoon to post, when I'm not so tired and prone to stupid typos. 

To keep the stupid typos away next week at work, I've got a mix of quiet and rowdy, old and new(ish) and some stuff I haven't heard yet.  

Serving up the alterna-noise this week, I've got the new Soundgarden and an old Mazzy Star. Clay5 has inspired me to grab Ben Folds & Nick Hornby, while Kurt Cobain's 50 Favourite Albums list gives me Gang Of Four. Disc one from the 50th anniversary Stones compilation is here, as is the first volume of the Dylan bootleg series. For my Hip Hop fix I have DJ Shadow and the one BIG album I haven't heard. I don't know why, but I have been singing Crazy by Icehouse all week, so I grabbed their biggest classic. Finally, I added Wye Oak for a smattering of indie sound.

Check it out:

  1. Wild Nothing
  2. The Lemonheads
  3. Michael Jackson
  4. Us3
  5. X

Song of the Week : Nada Surf - Teenage Dreams



In anticipation of the end of the year, which is flying towards us at a terrible speed, I've been going through my 2012 albums. One that was released relatively early and I haven't heard in a while is Nada Surf - The Stars Are Indifferent To Astronomy. It's an LP that probably won't make top 10, but could well sneak into top 20. I really dig that title though - like the universe does what it likes, no matter how much our Earth eggheads study and compartmentalise it. 

I was fairly certain I would have made this a song of the week already, but I did a search of all my old emails and it turns out I haven't. That's odd, because it's one of my favourite songs this year and probably the only track I listen to a lot from this album.

Teenage Dreams is an upbeat little gem with some nice fuzzy guitar and a catchy melody. I'm sure you understand why the line "moved to a tear by a subway break dancer" always catches my ear. 

If you're looking for a bit of inspiration to end the day with, you could do worse than this. It's never too late kids. Do it. Whatever it may be. 


Hüvasti, sõbrad


Thanks for stopping by. So here we are on Saturday afternoon after all. Almost Beer O'Clock and rather sticky and warm in Perth. Nothing for it but to partake in a frosty ale or two. 

I hope you get a nice relaxing dose of your poison this weekend too.

Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment