Friday, December 7, 2012

Secret Memory Cloud Flag (December 10th - 14th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

Well, it's beginning to look a lot like Capitalism Christmas. You know what that means. It means I have to spend some Saturdays shopping for presents. It also means that my Top 10 for 2012 is not too far away. In actual fact, it will be next week. This isn't it though; this is a different list.

In preparation for refining my final Top 10 list, I have a few 2012 albums from Cloud Nothings, The Mountain Goats and Swans. Thanks to a recent Clay5 on Top 5 5th albums, I have Melissa Etheridge's fifth and probably best album. More Whiskeytown is here while I'm still reading the book. I've got the final installments for Dylan and the Stones. Pulling another selection from Kurt's top 50, I've got Black Flag. Finally, my Hip Hop taste buds will be tantalised with Wu-Block and Nas.

Check it out:

  1. Beastie Boys
  2. Whiskeytown
  3. Bob Dylan
  4. The Notorious B.I.G.
  5. Beach Fossils

Song of the Week : The Knack - Good Girls Don't



I've been digging a little into Kurt Cobain's top 50 album list for the last few weeks. This week's selection was The Knack - Get The Knack. Everybody knows the monster hit My Sharona, but it was another song on the album that caught my eye. 

As a young and impressionable lad of about 7 or 8, I had a cassette tape (still have it) called Chipmunk Punk. It was The Chipmunks doing "punk" songs. Except they were all covers of new wave songs from Blondie, Queen, Tom Petty, Billy Joel, The Cars and others. At the time I had no idea who usually sang it, but my favourite track was Good Girls Don't. It was The Knack, and I have only just heard the original song now for the first time. 

Imagine my surprise when the real lyrics were... well, let's say "adult" and "colourful". Listen yourself and then have a look at the Chipmunk version on YouTube. 




Enjoy my shattered innocence! :)

Addio, Amici

Thanks for stopping by. Have the best couple of days off you can muster. Don't forget to check in next week for the Top 10 for 2012. There could well be a mixtape, but don't tell the DMCA.

Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment