Friday, February 1, 2013

Waiting for Hummingbird Power (February 4th - 8th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

I trust you had an unforgettable long weekend just gone if you're an Australian, or just an amazing regular length one if you're not. Last week at work was again flat stick. I don't think I paid my playlist selections the attention they deserved. I'll try to make up for that this week, even though I'm sure to be even busier again.

What I've got to listen to is disc 2 of Gil Scott-Heron and Freedom, Rhythm and Sound. I have a Dylan masterpiece and a Pearl Jam also-ran, because it's been ages since I heard either. There's new stuff from Jose James and Veronica Falls, as well as old favourites Jenny & Johnny. I've got the Local Natives album everyone's been raving about and up to bat for Hip Hop this week is a Jurassic 5 album and the hotly anticipated (by me) 2013 Golden Era Mixtape. 

Check it out:

  1. Tori Amos
  2. Gil Scott-Heron
  3. Q-Tip
  4. Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs
  5. California X

Song of the Week : Jesse Malin - Brooklyn


This SOTW is hard to choose because I’ve been so overwhelmed with work I have barely heard what I’ve been listening to. What I’ll do is select one of my favourite tracks from an album that just happened to be on my playlist this week; one I know I haven’t used before. 

Jesse Malin is a Ryan Adams produced act and you probably know that. I actually discovered Malin and Ryan about the same time through that Uncut compilation that introduced me to Come Pick me Up. This song was also on there – Brooklyn. It’s about the inner city living of a struggling artist and the tol the city took on his relationship, to the point where she moved from their Manhattan place to the relatively calmer burg of Brookyln.  

The bridge on this song is one of the best things about it. It’s such a stand in line for 20-something artistic/professional ennui 

“I sometimes lie awake until sunrise / Wondering have we become what we despise

Au Revoir

I'm between outings at the moment, with a spot of shopping this morning and a jaunt to the West Coast Eagles Fan Day on the cards now. My brainwashing program for my daughters is almost complete mwoohahahaha! 

Have fun and stay safe people. Be excellent to each other, always.

Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment