Friday, March 1, 2013

Above Normal Transformer Resurrection (March 4th - 8th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

A very merry long weekend to you all - assuming you're in WA. It's Labour Day long weekend here and it couldn't have come at a better time. I have been worked like an overworked something that works a lot lately and it's time to unwind. A trip to the country, a kayak on the lake and a bike ride back home by the river is all in order. That should all get me nice and relaxed just in time to go back and start again on Tuesday. 

For the week's listening I've grabbed a couple of Hip Hop classics from Mos Def & Talib Kweli an from Common. Because I didn't pay it much attention on release, I've got Way to Normal from Ben Folds. I couldn't wait to get hold of Bilal after streaming it last week, so that is here. Reading How To Archer led to wanting to hear Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits (because Archer says it's their best album :) ). Adding to the FM rock feel I grabbed Pretenders II and slipped in a bona fide masterpiece from Lou Reed. Also here I've got Seattle super-group Mad Season, Australian institution The Whitlams and finally the first Morning Becomes Eclectic compilation from KCRW. 

Check it out:

  1. The Cranberries
  2. Tim Easton
  3. R.E.M.
  4. Ice-T
  5. Beach Fossils

Song of the Week : Atoms For Peace - Ingenue


I don't know if you've heard the whole thing yet, but Atoms For Peace' Amok has opened my eyes to just how much Thom Yorke is in charge of Radiohead. More than half the tracks here wouldn't be out of place on King of Limbs. That might be a bad thing for some, but i really like that album, so I'm happy to hear more. I am betting it doesn't sit well with the rest of Radiohead though.

I chose Ingenue because it is one of those Radioheadesque tracks, but also because of Thom's crazy dancing in the film clip which was released recently. 

The song has the layered electronics and the falsetto vocals with all those little ticks and bleeps that dance in your earbuds the same as KOL has.I like it a lot, but if I were judging Thom on the originality of his side project, I'd say Fail.  

Audi 5000

My apologies to those of you who don't have Monday off. For those who do, I hope you can make the most of it like I'm going to try and do. 

Stay in the groove. Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment