Friday, June 14, 2013

Tricky Southeastern Surfer Punk (June 17th - 21st)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm feeling old as dirt, so forgive any grumpiness. Let's all try to forget that I'm turning 35 (again) tomorrow, shall we, and get on with it. I reached for a few old favourites this week. Maybe a touch of nostalgia from the stupid birthday thing? Whatever.

I grabbed U2's reinvention, Achtung Baby and Bright Eyes' (imho) best album, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. There's more favourites in Wilco's Sky Blue Sky and a Punk compilation of music from 1977. Volume 2 of one of my desert island compilations, Rare On Air is also here. There's a few new ones too though, from the magnificent Jason Isbell and from Surfer Blood. I got hold of The Wild because they were filed under Folk Punk and I had to hear what that was like. For something Trip and Hip Hop respectively, I grabbed Tricky's Maxinquaye and Tape Two from Young Fathers; who are believe it or not a rap trio from Scotland. 

Check it out:


Top Five Artists Last Week
  1. Dolorean
  2. The National
  3. Sonic Youth
  4. Concrete Blonde
  5. Brother Ali

Song of the Week : The National - Fireproof


This week's SOTW comes from my LPOTW. You all know I dig on The National and their new album has done nothing to harm that fanboy relationship. It's full of solid songs, but the reason I chose this one is because I think it illustrates a lot of what I like so much about The National's sound. 

Fireproof is simple enough, with a consistent riff played throughout as the main backing music. There is a tightly constructed time sig about everything from the percussion to the guitar. And then you get Matt Behringer's vocals and lyrics which seem like a random ramble over the top, always seeming to threaten to get out of time with the track. When he starts singing "Jennifer you are not the only reason..." he sounds like he's mumbling to himself and there happens to be this tight riff under his thoughts. I've always liked the way he phrases a lot of words around a small bit of space.  

Enjoy!


Bye Bye Baby, Baby Goodbye, Baby 

I'm off to the video store (link included for those born after 1995) with the kids to get a bluray for tonight's viewing. I'm hoping Monsters Inc is available or I'll be stuck with The Lion King, or worse, Rio. 

Live long and prosper. No AFL for me this week, so I hope your team does well. 

Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment