Friday, August 23, 2013

No Immaculate Disco Rocket (August 26th - 30th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

Saturday is almost half way done. My internet is still on the dodgy side of sketchy. I'm hoping to write this all out, get it posted and get out again before it dies. 


Thanks to the disco groove that Daft Punk have injected into the world this year  I've got Giorgio Moroder. I heard some good things about Steve Earle, Perth band Pond and Savages, so I'm checking them all out. In the "it's been a while" corner, you'll find Aloe Blacc and The Cranberries. More good reviews for an old Curren$y record got that a gig and Pegz is here for my Skip Hop fix. I've got a Best Of for Bjork to ice(land) it up a little and lastly, a Mojo compilation full of Sub Pop tracks I picked up for $3 on eBay. God bless eBay.

Check it out:

  1. Bob Dylan
  2. KISS
  3. Big Star
  4. 50 Cent
  5. Joshua Radin

Song of the Week : The Bee Gees  - Stayin' Alive


Ahead of my SOTW, let me apologise in advance for the over-representation of the 1970s in my picks lately; but in my defense  even the stuff from 2013 that I’m listening to sounds like it’s from there (I’m looking at you Daft Punk, Orgone, Charles Bradley et al!). Having said that, this is definitely not a 2013 track, although it is timeless. 

I defy anyone not to feel a strut in their bones when this track starts at high volume. From the funkiest white boy bass line of all time, to the ball-rippingly high falsettos, Stayin’ Alive is the absolute bomb. This is the version from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack which I have 2 copies of on vinyl because one is a little scratched from back in the day and the other I bought cheap at a fair. 

I picked it because I recently spent a while listening to a smart playlist which was all high rated 70s songs – called of course Super Sounds of the Seventies. I hadn’t heard Stayin’ Alive for a while and I was surprised how good it sounded. It really is as funky as I think it is possible for a white guy to write. I had it on in the car on the weekend and my good mate 2ompkins (who is a bass player) said “Best. Bassline. Ever” and he hates the Bee Gees, though he is part disco fan. 

It’s catchy, it’s fun, it’s produced beautifully; it’s just a terrific track. So overboard Seventies or not, Stayin’ Alive is my SOTW jam.


Ciao 

I think I still have internet. I could be wrong by the time I hit Publish. Wherever you go this weekend, take some tunes.

Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment