Friday, December 6, 2013

Those Drive-By Reality Seeds (December 9th - 13th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

Just back from the terror that is holiday season retail. Went to get my sister a present. I knew what I wanted. I knew where it was. I wanted to get in and get out. They of course had run out. I came home with something else for her, plus a bunch of stuff I didn't intend to buy. Seriously, how hard is it, with modern stock control programs, to make sure you have enough stock to cover Christmas for an obviously popular present. Grrr.

Besides finishing the Paul Kelly/Neil Finn and Michael Jackson sets off, I'm grabbing a DBT album I haven't heard. Then there's new stuff from Those Darlins and a live KCRW session from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. A compilation from Inertia called Critics' Choice gets a gig along with a remix of Midnight Marauders. Snoopzilla (*eye roll*) and Dam Funk bring 7 Days of Funk and lastly the soundtrack from probably my favourite film ever is going to ease me through my last full week of work for 2013. 

Check it out:

  1. Adam Ant
  2. Jason Isbell
  3. Michael Jackson
  4. Graham Reynolds
  5. Neil Finn & Paul Kelly

Song of the Week : Artists Against Apartheid - Sun City



A Facebook post about The Specials and music teaching you things is the impetus behind my SOTW. 

As a teenager, it was Rap that taught me about things like the Civil Rights marches, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and Malcolm X. We didn't learn any of that in school. Same as we didn't learn about Apartheid and Nelson Mandella. All I knew of South Africa then was a bunch of Australian cricketers got kicked out of the team for going over there to play. It wasn't until U2 and Silver and Gold from Rattle and Hum that I really heard the word Apartheid. Then this song came out and was getting airplay on the Hip Hop show I listened to on Saturday nights - Scratch FM.

I bought the 12" vinyl of this, but the only digital copy I have comes from an 80s compilation. This is Artists Against Apartheid and features Lou Reed, Little Steven, Kool Dj Herc, Run DMC, Melle Mel (hence the Scratch FM airplay), Dylan, Gil-Scott Heron, John Oates, even Miles Davis, Pete Townshend and Herbie Hancock. It's basically the We Are The World of anti-Apartheid songs. 

With the death of Mandella and the Specials post, I thought it was a good time to celebrate the way we learn so much from the music we love - especially the good stuff (not much to be learned from Beiber I don't think). 

Au Revoir
That's all there is to it this week. I'm still dirty about not getting that present I was after. I'm certain the replacement will be well liked too, but that's hardly the point. Never mind. Onward and upwards. 

Vale Mandella. Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment