Thursday, June 17, 2010

Song of the Week 18/06/2010

Patti Smith - Gloria
So anyway, I don't really have a song of the week this week. I've been listening to a lot of music, but once again it's rolled right over me. I really got into Whiskeytown - Faithless Street when I ran out of playlist, but they get over-represented (by me) in SOTW so I didn't want to go with them. So what I did was look at everything on this week's playlist and pick my favourite song of all of them. That's how I got a song that I've probably used before.
I have gone on record as saying this cover outstrips the original Van Morrison & Them track by a long way. Them do it bluesy with a little bit of a sexy growl. Patti Smith blows the doors of it with insatiable and violent lust. I can't imagine what a scene it would have caused on release. No wonder Punk pissed the parents off with naughty little pseudo-lesbian minxs like Patti screaming about hot chicks called Gloria.
Now of course, sexual innuendo and carnal longing are the norm and dressed up with pop princess bubbles. But back then, I'm betting this was shocking. I love it because it straight out rocks. It drags you along from the opening quiet scowl of "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine" on a path of destruction that crescendos somewhere around Smith yelling "ding dong! ding dong! ding dong!" about the bells in the street. Brilliant. Sorry Van, but you got pwned.
So that's my Not song of the week. I didn't intend to write that much on a song I picked the way I did; it just kind of came out :) Hope you like the listen anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment