Friday, July 16, 2010

Playlist : July 19 - 23, 2010

Just a quick post today. Still in the grips of Revelation fever. Two more films to see tomorrow and trying to get a few reviews together. A lot of what is on this list is inspired by one film from Revelation - The Family Jams.
  • R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction : This fantastic R.E.M. album has recently been reissued in a special edition boxset, remastered and given the royal treatment. I thought I'd listen to the original.
  • VA - Jazz In Paris Remixed : A sort of electronic chill remix compilation of some classic jazz standards. Good for ear / brain wallpaper sound.
  • Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP : The new Eminem album, Recovery, is somewhat closer to the peek of Eminem's prowess, but still a long way from the absolute zenith that is The Marshall Mathers LP.
  • Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Monster : The first of the albums on this list inspired by The Family Jams. Joanna Newsom stole the limelight of that film from Devendra Banhart and made me want to revisit this fabulously quirky disc.
  • Pearl Jam - MTV Unplugged : I haven't listened to Pearl Jam in quite some time. I felt this rarity was a good way to revisit them.
  • Michael Jackson - Off The Wall : Talking of people at the height of their powers, this wasn't Michael's. But it was certainly the start of an upward swing of titanic proportions. Get your disco pants on, we're going dancing.
  • The Pleased - One Piece From The Middle : Another band to appear albeit briefly in The Family Jams. I'd never heard of these guys, but they rocked, so I figured I'd check them out.
  • Black Sabbath - Paranoid : Miss Nearly 4 loves, LOVES, Iron Man from this album. She was singing it all last week, so I'm listening to Paranoid to exorcise the demons of that song in my head...
  • Uncle Tupelo - Still Feel Gone : Alt Country pioneers and Wilco spawners Uncle Tupelo lay down weary whiskey soaked tunes of resentment, self-loathing and distorted Americana.
  • Vetiver - Tight Knit : The last of the bands from The Family Jams on this list. I hadn't heard of Vetiver either, but I was suitably impressed by the soulful acoustic performances shown. Well worth a spin.
As you were then, people. Election on August 21, hey?

Vote 1 GetStuffedTheLotOfYou

No comments:

Post a Comment