Thursday, July 1, 2010

Playlist : July 5th - 8th, 2010

Hey hey kids. Short week this week for me, but not a short list. Short because I have Friday off while the school holidays are on (Mrs @coreyj is an educator) to take Miss Nearly 4 to see her first ever film at the cinema. We're taking her to Toy Story 3, which from what I hear is a good place to start your movie journey.

Speaking of movies, I moved Make Films Not Movies over to WordPress and I am thinking of taking Work Tunes there too. Mainly because I can blog from my iPad with the WordPress app, much easier than I can to Blogger with Safari. I'll let you know.

So the week's list, that I might not get through, looks like this:


  • The Roots - How I Got Over
  • The latest from The Roots and featuring, it seems, a whole mess of artists as diverse as Joanna Newsom and Monsters of Folk.
  • Band of Horses - Infinite Arms
  • Since I like my indie twangy, I figured it was time I discover Band of Horses. Where better to start than with their latest, so I don't get in the 'I like your old stuff better' mindset off the bat.
  • Beastie Boys - Sounds of Science
  • Two disc best of compilation from the Buddhist boys from Brooklyn. I just recently bought this collection but have been a Beasties fan since Licensed to Ill never left my tape deck back in the day.
  • Ben Folds - Songs For Silverman
  • It's been a while since I dusted this one off. Still in my opinion Ben Folds' strongest work, including the Ben Folds Five stuff.
  • Cold Chisel - East
  • I was admonished on Twitter last week by a friend not to forget my bogan roots. I told him I would always have Cold Chisel around somewhere. I also have a flanell shirt somewhere. Chisel. Barnsie! Noice.
  • VA - Sweet Relief II - The Music of Vic Chestnutt
  • The Sweet Relief project was created to raise money for alt-country songwriter Victoria Williams who had health problems that needed treatment. A bunch of alterna-acts like Pearl Jam (who did the excellent Crazy Mary) covered Williams' songs. This follow up was to raise funds for Vic Chestnutt, eccentric songwriter and brother in law of Madonna (who appears here with Darius Rucker). Stand out tracks from REM, Garbage and Soul Asylum are why I still play this CD.
    • Van Halen - 5150
    • Another nod to my bogan roots. I wouldn't call myself a Van Halen fan, but this particular album has always been top shelf for me. Wether it's just the memories that I associate it with now, or I genuinely like the music, doesn't really matter. It's enjoyable.
        • Charlie Parker, Miles Davis - Blue Bird, Legendary Savoy Sessions
        • I am really starting to appreciate good jazz at work. This is some of the best jazz there is, led by two of the four or five greatest ever jazz musicians. Miles and Bird were not even human, let's be honest. Even the word Genius is selling short these two Gods of jazz. Superb.
          If anything there catches your eye, I say check it out. If you like it, pay me back with a recommendation of your own. Ya'll come back now, ya hear?

          No comments:

          Post a Comment