Thursday, June 23, 2011

Playlist : June 27th - July 1st, 2011

Hey there Tunesters, nice to see you. How's things?

My whole household has the dreaded lurgee and so we haven't even been able to go and meet my newborn nephew in person. I had Monday off work and have been popping tablets like an early 90s raver while Mrs coreyj spent the day at home sick today (Friday).

Hopefully when Monday rolls around, I'll be fighting fit and able to tuck into this week's list. Good for what ails me this week is the new (and apparently last) Bias B, new ones from Gillian Welch and Vetiver, another free album from Noisetrade, a Digable Planets MC's solo effort and some T Rex and Marilyn Manson (after I realised the similarities between them). All that and more, see:
  1. Josh Rouse
  2. Bob Seger
  3. Edie Brickell and New Bohemians
  4. Bias B
  5. David Bowie
Song of the Week : Hole - Plump

I plugged an old DVD player into the Yamaha to serve as a CD player and decided to hear a CD instead of my usual LP for a change. Just by chance of browsing the CD shelves, I picked Hole – Live Through This. After hearing it on CD through the amp, I had to re-rip it in Apple Lossless for the iPod. Putting it into iTunes and rating everything again made me twig that this is very likely my favourite album of all time. There isn't a track on there that I dislike and over half of it is pure gold. I soon commenced to rave about how incredibly good it is and @sunky and others joined in.

Live Through This is seriously a masterpiece of the 90s and imho will hold up for a very long time to come.To look at it, the first 7 tracks on a 12 track LP are the same outstanding quality. She Walks On Me is not as good, then comes I Think That I Would Die and Gutless both superb ending with Rockstar that isn’t as good but better than She Walks. I can not think of another album that I can say that about. Given Hole never touched close to it again, Kurt had to have written at least some of it, surely. Or else Courtney lost all her mojo when he died. I don’t want to believe that last bit, because that makes their story so much sadder and gives me empathy for her. Crazy bitch.

Sayonara
Thanks for visiting. I'll be back next week with another list. Unless I win lotto. In which case, it won't be work tunes, it will just be tunes. You know, on some other blog. ...one powerball.

No comments:

Post a Comment