Friday, June 3, 2011

Playlist : June 7th - 10th, 2011

Welcome to a long weekend. It's Labour Day in Western Australia - whatever that means. Seems like we're having a day off to celebrate work. Very Australian.

So it's a short week, but I've got a bunch of songs anyway. I had a blast listening to a 1980s compilation the other day and it reminded me of another, so that's here. I also have the new one from The Vines and the first one from my band of the moment, Dolorean.

And the soundtrack to my next working week looks like this:
  1. U2
  2. Morrissey
  3. Eminem
  4. R.E.M.
  5. Black Box Recorder
Song of the Week : Chaka Khan - I Feel For You
On the weekend, late at night and three Stellas down, I decided to write another post for my Hip Hop blog. It was 1985 Comes Alive. I wrote it from start to end without any planning or re-editing beyond spelling. And things came out that I had forgotten about.

Besides the personal stuff, I remembered how much I had played, scratched, danced to and played again Chaka Khan - I Feel For You. I had the Heaps Of Hits double LP and we were living in the flat in Orelia. One of my uncles, who would have been early 20s then, had given my Mum his stereo and bought himself a new (awesome!) Mirantz kit. The one he gave us was the only thing we had for entertainment for a while until we scored a B&W TV. It was one of those all-in-one things that had a huge speaker at the side and a lid on top that you lifted to get at the turntable. Not ideal for DJ magic, but I scratched Melle Mel’s voice up like (I thought) a demon. Also scratched that record up. I still have it and its hysterical to see all the perfect condition tracks around it and a scratch on that one. I think I barely played anything else on the record.

So here is that track, unscratched, for you. When you play it, picture a 13 year old, still light blonde Corey J poppin’ and lockin’ in a dingey Homeswest flat on the second floor of Hell Block C.

Adios
Thanks for stopping by. If you're in Perth like me, you're going to want to have a great long weekend, so please do. Until next week, asalaam alikum.

No comments:

Post a Comment