Friday, January 27, 2012

Playlist : January 30th - February 3rd, 2012

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.


It feels like it's been one long tun of short weeks this year so far, but I have Tuesday off this week too. After a babysitting dilemma, I decided to stay home and take Miss 5 to see Hugo. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Scorsese does with not just the 3D, but his utter love of cinema and the early history of film-making. I can't wait.


For the soundtrack of my working week, I've got the self-titled LP from The Felice Brothers; the debuts of Iron & Wine and First Aid Kit; some James Taylor because I only just discovered Dolorean's Hey Mister, That's Me On The Jukebox was a Taylor cover; Fear Of A Black Planet because I just bought the vinyl; a Lost Highway compilation; classics from The Flaming Lips and U2; my favourite hot summer album, Crazy For You from Best Coast and finally Hilltop's State of the Art because I have a Hoods gig on Friday night.


Check it out:

  1. Bob Dylan
  2. Nada Surf
  3. Belle and Sebastian
  4. Lil' Kim
  5. Concrete Blonde

Song of the Week : First Aid Kit - King of the World



I had a tough decision to make between two songs that have stuck with me this week, so I chose the one I think you’ll all prefer. I only just discovered this band First Aid Kit through the NPR stream of their latest LP The Lion’s Roar. They are a duo of sisters from Stockholm who play kind of freak folk style tunes. Wiki says Fleet Foxes and Joanna Newsom are influences, but I heard a bit of Bright Eyes too. Lo and behold, there’s Conor Oberst on the final track of this album – King of the World.


King of the World sounds more like a Bright Eyes song than a First Aid Kit song, almost like Conor co-wrote it, but I don’t think he did. It’s a very wordy track with that rollicking hoedown style that Bright Eyes sometimes does (never, ever stop in the middle of a hoedown!). See what you think anyway. I dig the band a lot and will be checking out their debut album next week.


Enjoy. 

Congé

If you get the chance, check out the new Nada Surf. The song Teenage Dreams was almost my Song of the Week. They don't sound much like the guys who released Popular all those moons ago.


That's it for this week. Try and stay cool and happy for the rest of the week. I'll see you back here next week, no doubt still buzzing from the Hoods. Congratulations to Gotye on the most unsurprising JJJ Hottest #1 since Oasis - Wonderwall. It really is a great track and deserves all the attention it has had all year.


Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment