Saturday, September 22, 2012

Follow the Experimental Maiden Mirage (September 24th - 28th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

It's been a bit of a tech day today, good and bad. I bought some new headphones for work and also battled with iOS6 and my iPad. Everything seems to be in order now though. I'm sure the novelty of Siri will wear off very soon, but right now, she's a hoot.

I'll only be at work for a few days this week, because Miss 6 is going in for a 
tonsillectomy and I'll be staying home to look after Miss 3. I'm not looking forward to any of it of course. I'm told recovery from tonsils can be a horrid affair, and you never like to see your kids in pain. 

Inspiration for choosing the LPs on this week's list has come from a bunch of places. Firstly, watching Ice-T's excellent Art of Rap provided me with the soundtrack as well as an Eric B & Rakim album I haven't heard in forever. Last week's #Clay5 on Pearl Jam albums obviously gave me Vs, while a Spotify list from @sunky provided Bjork. Metal Evolution has put Iron Maiden on my radar, while a rave about TIM from @bobearth made me pick The Replacements. Sonic Youth are here because omg I love Sonic Youth. There's the second disc of  Led Zeppelin's Remasters and finally some new albums from favourites Band of Horses and Seapony.

Check it out:

  1. Led Zeppelin
  2. Sly & The Family Stone
  3. A Tribe Called Quest
  4. Tori Amos
  5. Down South

Song of the Week : Dinosaur Jr. - Watch The Corners



The latest album from Dinosaur Jr is out and it reunites the original line-up of the band. I have chosen Watch The Corners,  the track from it that most sounds like the Dinosaur Jr. of old. That's not a bad thing; for me, anyway. Listening to the best Dinosaur Jr. tracks feels like reaching into your closet and fishing out that super warm and fleecy flannel jacket, your heaviest pair of cargo shorts and a nice shiny pair of Docs and stepping back into the era when J Mascis was guitar god extraordinaire.

So that's what my SOTW is for today. It's a time travel vessel that will put you in the heady days of grunge and Seinfeld and Winona Ryder and Kyra Sedgwick. Enjoy the ride. And on a side and somewhat related note, did you see Singles the Cameron Crowe film is 20 YEARS OLD! Wow.

Hope you enjoy your time travel experience – please, keep all limbs inside the car at all times.

TTFN

Thanks for stopping by. Here's hoping the Universe smiles on you this weekend and you win lotto or something. If you're a Hawks or Crows fan, good luck to your team. But let's face it, the Crows need more luck than the Hawks. 

Adios. Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment