Saturday, September 15, 2012

Poor Grizzly Choirgirl Romance (September 17th - 21st)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

It's been a really, really, *really* long week and I'm still getting over the food poisoning from last weekend. All my hopes are invested in this weekend to recharge my dead batteries. Next week's music should help too. 

There's a few new sets this week, namely from Grizzly Bear, Dinosaur Jr., The xx and Sea Wolf. I put a little funk in the trunk and added Sly & the Family Stone and Prince after watching a BBC doc on the Purple One. Evil Eddie's Golden Age made me think of some mid-90s rap from Poor Righteous Teachers and Down South. It is all rounded out with Led Zeppelin and Tori Amos (who is a massive Led Zep fan btw). 

Check it out:

  1. Journey
  2. A Tribe Called Quest
  3. Something For Kate
  4. Kathleen Edwards
  5. Portishead

Song of the Week : Evil Eddie - Golden Age



I wouldn't normally give you two rap tracks in a row, but this selection just could not be denied this week as my SOTW. I don't listen to th radio much, but I assume that JJJ is already killing this Jamie? Evil Eddie's (of Butterfingers) latest solo track Golden Age.

First and foremost what it has going for it beyond the lyric is the funky a$$ bass which sounds like a Stevie Wonder clavical riff fed through a bit of wah. But of course, the lyric itself is what suckered me in - its a self-confessed "old muthf$#@^a standing up for the golden age of Hip Hop culture. How could I resist?! It mentions coming through formative years with the very best that rap had to offer and laments the fact that "these days, every man and his dog's a f$#^#in rapper!"

The track has been on pretty much endless repeat in my head and in my car. Hopefully you can dig the funk and enjoy the extended rant of the lyrics.

Adios Muchachas

Okey dokey, that's your lot. I've got to go and get myself some R&R or I'll be postal by this time next week. I am feeling a little better already, having relaxed a little watching The Toxic Avenger last night. Fingers crossed I'm over the slump. Go me. And...

Go Eagles. Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment