Thursday, January 3, 2013

This Ocean Glowstream Explosion (January 7th - 11th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes for 2013.

So this is it. Just a stock standard weekend to go and I'm back at work for a new year. I've been spending my holidays here, there and everywhere, but not at any planned vacation. We did almost make the last minute decision to get out of the suburbs on NYE, but we stayed in and it turned out to be one of the quieter nights all year. Brilliant. 


As for the playlist for my first week at work, I can't really say I've put a lot of thought in. I just sort of browsed my iTunes library and put in whatever seemed like it could do with a listen. Doing like this, at first the whole list looks a bit of an eclectic and random mix, but look carefully and you'll notice it leans heavy on a couple of vibes. 

The first vibe is soul with Marvin Gaye, Syl Johnson and Frank Ocean (though the Sesame Street song One of These Things is Not Like the Others comes to mind). The second vibe is the twangy folky country thing from The Autumn Defense, The Rural Alberta Advantage and the This Is 40 soundtrack. That just leaves a little math rock from Datarock, some indie rock from JEFF the Brotherhood, some dreamy pop jangle from Cotton Jones and the FM radio mellow of Bruce Hornsby.


Check it out:
  1. Beastie Boys
  2. Hilltop Hoods
  3. Melissa Etheridge
  4. The Rolling Stones
  5. Whiskeytown

Happy New Year

Thanks for stopping by. My hope for 2013 is to find and hear more great music, rediscover old favourites and buy more vinyl. I also promised myself I'd play more guitar, but so far the year is guitarless. I never said I had great resolve. Let's not forget, I promised in 2012 to never read the comments - and that didn't go so well. 

Stay golden pony boys and girls. Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment