Friday, May 24, 2013

Fuzzed California Desperation Boom (May 27th - 31st)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

It's another glorious Perth Spring day in Autumn today after more of the same all week. It's almost torture to be inside writing this, but the Eagles are on anyway. I'm watching while I type on my trusty laptop. 


There are a few bands here that I've only just discovered, or are new. Orgone has a record full of raw rock instrumentals that sound like a 70s cop film soundtrack. Trophy Wife's debut (and probably last, as they've split up) album is a cloud full of dream pop. Oblivions bring a punk rock slant on some indie rock. Balancing out the new bands, there's a few old ones; particularly The Sonics from the 60s and Al Green. There's two compilations again, one full of funk and the other full of that Californian 70s sound. After Daft Punk's big blow up, I decided to listen to Kraftwerk who do it so much better. There's a kooky collaboration between Edie Brickell and Steve Martin with a banjo. Lastly, for a dose of rhyme, there's the Eminem Show.  


Check it out:


Top Five Artists Last Week
  1. Otis Redding
  2. Talib Kweli
  3. Daft Punk
  4. The Walkmen
  5. Lisa Loeb & Nine Tails

Song of the Week : My Morning Jacket - Leaving On A Jet Plane



I know we all appreciate a good cover done well. This one is done so well that I mistook it for a cover from the 70s, the era the song was written.


From the recent tribute to John Denver, My Morning Jacket perform Leaving On A Jet Plane. Before I heard the album, I slipped a few of the songs I know the originals of onto a playlist for a road trip. When this one came on, I thought it was strange that I had an old cover of it on my iPod, until I found out it was MMJ.

I think what gives it such an authentic sound is the mix. The heavy reverb on the vocals and the jangling ring of the guitars just sounds so much like that easy listening 70s sound. The song itself is a little maudlin, but I am impressed with the way the essence of it and the time period it lived in has been captured so well. Perhaps it’s awed hush is a note of respect to Denver who we all know died in a plane crash. It actually opens the tribute album and it sets the tone nicely.

Adios

If you get a chance, have a listen to Orgone - Fuzzed Up, especially if you're a fan of 70s cinema. It really does sound like an excellent cop movie while being a great listen with some hard grooves. I've had it playing wile cooking and that works, but it should really be great to work to. 

Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment