Friday, May 10, 2013

Welcome Reincarnated Honky Rapper (May 13 - 17)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

Welcome back after another Work Tunes break for a week off. I've been looking after Mrs coreyj while she recovers from surgery on her hand to remove a ganglion and a benign tumor. But as of Monday, it's back to work I go, so I better get some music together.

There is a stack of new stuff this week, though it's a mixed bag. Firstly, the new Ben Lee sounds like an ambient/new age background soundtrack for a mud bath place. Iggy & the Stooges sound like they're 18 again and it's a great pay off. The third volume from She & Him, thanks to Zooey Deschanel's honey smooth vocals, sounds spectacular. 

Also new, Snoop 'Lion' has reinvented himself as a Rastafarian reggae rapper. A kid making a big splash is Chance the Rapper and his Acid Rap mixtape. The second half of the Paste April sampler is here, as is the second half of the Led Zep Mothership box. In the not so new category, there's Elton John's classic Honky Chateau (superb even just for Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters and Rocket Man), Neko Case's breakout Fox Confessor Brings the Flood and lastly, the first Wavves album.

Check it out:


Top Five Artists Last Week
  1. She & Him
  2. Otis Redding
  3. Eric B & Rakim
  4. Whiskeytown
  5. Justin Townes Earle

Song of the Week : Otis Redding - Send Me Some Lovin'



One thing I got to do on my week off which I don't do a lot of under normal circumstances is cook. I made a few pretty simple dishes, but I started to enjoy all the food prep and such that I only really do on special occasions these days because I'm just home too late for it. Much like at work, I chose a different album each night to play while I chopped, cooked and cleaned. The one that really seemed like it belonged in the kitchen was an Otis Redding compilation. Funny enough, on surgery day while I waited at home, I watched a German film called Soul Kitchen about a restaurant that played Soul.


I'm not sure what it is about true Soul music that seems to go hand in hand with good company, good food and good times; especially given the content of such music is usually forlorn and pleading, but it just does. Try it yourself. 

I picked Send Me Some Lovin' because it was the track that most stuck in my mind when I sat down to write my SOTW knowing I'd chosen the album. This song, this music sings right through me and if I believed in the existence of souls, I'd say that's where it resonates and that's why they call it that. But I don't, as such, so all I can say is how great is this?!


Keep on Truckin'

Yep, Keep on Truckin'. Ah the Seventies. What a blast it must have been if you weren't 0 - 7 years old at the time. 

If you're reading this, play that Otis Redding song up there. Whatever you're feeling, whether good or bad, you will feel spectacular when you hear Otis sing. Plus, if you don't already know, Soul music is the only kind you really need in a crisis of any kind.

Happy music questing, tunesters. Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment