Saturday, November 23, 2013

Just Atomic Desert Lemonade (November 25th - 29th)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

I'm a little later than usual this week because yesterday was filled with super secret Christmas present purchase shenanigans. It's the wee hours of Sunday morning right now and I've just put this together.

I've been avoiding U2's 2004 effort since the first listen, so I figured it was time to try again. This Desert Life I haven't been avoiding, but have probably not listened to the whole thing in just as long. Yet another album that's been tucked away too long is Blind Pilot's sophomore effort. I recently gave a few Keb Mo albums a spin on Spotify - this is one of them. The latest album from Oz Hip Hop artist Illy is here and so is the newly released collaboration between Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day) and Norah Jones. After my recent obsession with the Downtown scene and the early days of Punk, I grabbed a CBGBs compilation exploring those bands. Another new one from White Denim is on the list along with the soundtrack to Imagine, a documentary about John Lennon. One of my favourite rap albums from the last 10 years from Nas is my final choice for next week.

Check it out:

  1. Motorhead
  2. The Offspring
  3. Jonathon Wilson
  4. Tom Waits
  5. of Montreal

Song of the Week : Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone

My SOTW is arguably the greatest rock song ever written. I chose Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone solely because of the interactive video that was released this week which blew my tiny mind. If you haven’t seen it, I won’t ruin it, but ostensibly it’s a bunch of film clips in an interactive player where you can “change channels” mid song. A simple enough idea, but it’s what has been done with it that’s really impressive.

http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html

The innovation behind the video reminded me that the song itself was a real rule breaker. A rock song that hit big on the radio that went for more than 6 minutes, let alone more than 3. It was the near perfection of the electric sound that had been played around with on Bringing It All Back Home and which had gotten Bob in trouble with the folkies who saw it as selling out. Those cracking drums, the double keyboard sound and the angry sneer of Bob’s voice changed popular music in a way that’s still being felt. We all know the Beatles were one kind of band until Rubber Soul which was not long after they met electric Bob.

Watch the video and have a play around. I will most likely watch each channel in it’s entirety this weekend to make sure I see it all. I think there’s about 10 channels. 





Adios

Now it's Sunday afternoon and I'm just back from Nedlands and Perth Upmarket at UWA. Now I'm running behind and have to get these tunes onto my work laptop for the week's listening.

Onwards and upwards. Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment