Friday, November 15, 2013

Lovin' Fanfare Saturday Aftershock (November 18th - 22nd)

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

No list last week because I was off work for two out of five days and I just shuffled my phone and streamed some album previews. I haven't had much of a chance to put this one together, but I'm squeezing it in before swimming.

Thanks to some recommendations, I'm checking out the latest from Of Montreal and some very old Tom Waits. I got hold of the 94 East album featuring Prince and thought I'd give that a spin. The recently released Marshall Maters LP II and a new one from Young Dro are my rap selections. There's a little bit of heavy grind with new albums from Motorhead and Fuzz. I realised the other day that I have no Offspring, so I remedied that with the Greatest Hits. I read good stuff about Johnathon Wilson so I'm giving Fanfare a listen. Lastly, I stumbled across the soundtrack to the very brilliant This Is England (the film, not the equally brilliant This Is England '86 and '88 TV series).

Check it out:

  1. Dolorean
  2. Indigo Girls
  3. Pearl Jam
  4. Ryan Adams
  5. Pink Floyd

Song of the Week : Evil Eddie - Hungover Again

I didn't have a song picked out because I wasn't paying attention for the three days I was at work, just shuffling my phone all day. I am going with what I woke up with in my head. 

Last night being Thursday, I wouldn't normally drink, but as I'm off until Monday, I figured why the hell not. It's not like I had too much, but I woke up with Hungover Again by Evil Eddie in my head and it won't go away. I wasn't hungover, but I was probably a bit guilty with myself for putting 3 beers down on a school night :)

The song is about a much bigger binge than that. I was never much of a drinker even in my late teens, but I have had a few hangovers in the distant past, so I know the feelings being spoken about. The song itself is pretty melodic as far as raps go. The music behind it too is not the usual beats and samples, but more like a band with a guitar, bass and drum brushes.  The lines that haven't left me alone all day are after the 'apology song' line:

But I can't even write myself a rap
Like this line is crap
Doesn't even rhyme...
And that.

There is no film clip for Hungover on YouTube, so here's a Spotify link:




Bye

There you have it, short and sweet again. I really get a lot of use out of the recommendations of friends, so I hope there's something here that can get your musical groove moving. 

Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment