Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Playlist : May 10th - 14th, 2010

Hello people! As you can see, this week's playlist has a record cover. Check it out ------------------------>

I have decided to go on a most likely impossible quest to find this album on vinyl, or in any format really. I can't link to Amazon because it's impossible to find - that's why I uploaded the album cover.


I still have a dubbed copy from an old friend's older brother who imported his vinyl. At last resort I could try and track him down and offer to buy it. In the meantime, I've ripped my cassette to mp3 through the magic of computers.

So here is the list for this week at work.

  • VA - Down Under By Law - This is the very first compilation of Australian Hip Hop ever made. Not a brilliant LP but a stunning piece of history. Shouts to Rick Saurus if he's out there.
  • Miles Davis - Nefertiti - from the genius of John Coltrane a couple of lists back to the genius of Miles Davis this week. Released in 1968 and featuring a young Herbie Hancock on piano (Hancock also composed much of the music), Nefertiti was Davis' last wholly acoustic album before he went electric.
  • Q-Tip - The Renaissance - Grammy nominated, meticulous production from the distinctive-voiced former head of Native Tongues act A Tribe Called Quest.
  • VA - The Boat That Rocked OST - Finally saw this film last week. As a movie, I found it just okay. Not particularly annoying or anything, but not great. But boy, did it make up for it with the music. This is nearly every classic 60s rock song you'll ever need.
  • Gil Scott-Heron - Glory - The Best of Gil Scott-Heron - After watching a documentary on the life of Heron, where luminaries such as Mos Def, Chuck D, Ritchie Havens and Sarah Jones sung his praises, I figured it had been too long since I heard a whole bunch of his songs (rather than just The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (video link) which I spin at least once a week). PS Amazon doesn't have the 2 CD set I have; this is as close as they get.
  • The National - Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers - For me, at the moment, too much of The National is hardly enough. After hearing High Violet last week, I had to rehear their previous releases. This is their sophomore effort. Don't be surprised if another LP is on next week's list.
As well as these LPs, I'll be listening to mixtapes from The Mixtape Club. Check them out. These guys lay down some great tunes.

Footnote: Special hopes and thoughts to Iveta Mitchell and family. Evey, come home kid; let's have a joint 38th.

No comments:

Post a Comment