Friday, April 30, 2010

Playlist : May 3rd - 7th, 2010

Welcome to another week of tunes. It's Saturday lunchtime and it's blissfully quiet at my house as the girls nap and their Mother watches Gray's Anatomy. So I've been compiling my weekly playlist. I'm really looking forward to tucking into a couple of these - especially Malcolm McLaren.

Here's the whole list.

  • The Waifs - Up All Night - Western Australia represent! A bit of Fremantle style folk for May Day.
  • Nizlopi - Make It Happen - I was introduced to Nizlopi with the sparklingly sentimental JCB Song via @_pants_ when my first child was pending. I only just heard about this 2008 LP and can't wait to hear it.
  • Bright Eyes - Noise Floor (Rarities: 1998 - 2005) - While it doesn't contain my very favourite Bright Eyes rarity, Lua (feat. Gillian Welch), I am still excited to give this a spin.
  • Melissa Etheridge - Fearless Love - I was once an unashamed ME fan. I saw her live in 1996 and her Unplugged set got me to start playing guitar again. Then she went a little pop. Then she was diagnosed with Leukemia and went (understandably) a little perky and sappy. From the cursory scan I have had of this LP, it sounds like a return to more tight musical rock stylings. Fingers crossed.
  • Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded - This album was the soundtrack to all Hip Hop culture in 1987. Songs like 9MM Goes Bang and South Bronx were the first taste of 'gangsta' rap most of us (in Perth anyway) ever heard; and Scott La Rock was the first Rap artist we heard about getting shot and killed. It doesn't get anymore classic than this for the Old Skool.
  • Richie Cunning - Night Train - A recommendation from a Hip Hop Jazz blog I follow. This is warm brass, wet streets, cold air and train tracks in the dead of night.
  • Malcolm McLaren & The World Famous Supreme Team - Buffalo Gals : Back To Skool - A tribute to the often overlooked contribution that Malcolm McLaren made to New York Hip Hop back in the day. Featuring legends like KRS-One and Rakim, and made while McLaren was still alive, this is a fitting memorial for the crazy geezer and iconic 'ranga.
  • Branford Marsalis Quartet - Music from Mo' Better Blues - Bebop bliss from Spike Lee's jazzy joint Mo' Better Blues (starring Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes) written by the cooler of the Marsalis brothers.
  • VA - What It Is : Funky Soul & Rare Grooves Vol. 1 - Funk and dusty Soul from well known as well as some obscure artists from 1967 - 1977. Part of a four disc set, I'll be adding one volume to each of my next three playlists.
  • Editors - The Back Room - Another band I picked up on via Twitter, from @bronwen of Twitterati fame, this Editors album has a very UK 80s indie pop sound but with louder guitars - like the Smiths collaborating with Oasis.
So that's me done for the week. If you're reading this and you know and love any of these albums, or are going to check some out, feel free to comment or turn me on to some different sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment