Friday, May 20, 2011

Playlist : May 23rd - 27th, 2011

Hello to all of you who didn't get picked for Team Rapture. Welcome to Work Tunes.

I'm writing all of this in a bit of a hurry on a Friday night. I'm not normally this rushed, but I lost a day of work on Thursday to look after Miss 4, so I've been playing catch up. That aside, I seem to be in a rush a lot lately. Instead of finding more time to review movies by paring down this blog, I have found less time even for this. WHo knows where the time goes.

On to the music anyhow. This week there's a lot of new albums I either stumbled across or had recommended to me. I'm glad I'll get to hear the new Bon Iver that everybody loves. There's also Michael Hutchence's side project Max Q from 1989, added after a conversation about how great INXS once were. I just now added Prince - Purple Rain because I have been watching the man himself carve up the stage playing the solo in a tribute rendition of Georg Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps. If you haven't seen it, check it out - Prince channels Hendrix, I swear.
  1. Warner Brothers
  2. Eddie Vedder
  3. The Pretenders
  4. INXS
  5. The Rural Alberta Advantage
Song of the Week : The Rural Alberta Advantage - Two Lovers
This morning’s song comes again from a band I only just discovered. Apparently they have two albums out. The song came on AccuRadio on the Au Naturale channel that I put on as working background sometimes.

What caught my ear with the song was mainly the mix and the melody. There is a good deal of sonic warmth in the vocal track and it sounds immediate and close. I don’t know if that will come out in the lower bitrate version I have for you guys (the 320kbps is 8mb) but hopefully it will.

Two Lovers seems to be about dangerous obsession, though it’s a sweet sung ballad. It’s obvious they are apart with lines like “If I ever hold you again” yet he’s singing about holding her ‘tight enough to crush a vein’. It’s creepy as well as sweet. Weird. I dig it.

Are We There Yet?
If you still haven't received your pass onto the Mothership, don't worry. Those of us left behind get more resources, more land and less discrimination to go around.

If you check out anything on this list besides the new Bon Iver, give The Rural Alberta Advantage a go, they're very good if you like your music to twang. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment