Thursday, December 8, 2011

Playlist : December 12th - 16th, 2011

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

Not a great deal to report this week. Still wishing I was on holiday down south with the wife. I could easily have stayed there, bought the record store and started a new life on the beach away from the city. But then there were tourists to consider. They ruin everything. I should know, being one and all.

This week's list features the next installment of the Tracks box, another set from The Deep Dark Woods, The Roots' fantastic new album, some old favourites and two compilations - including Australian Hip Hop Supports Canteen, MC Hunter's final project before he left us. RIP brother.

  1. New York Dolls
  2. Honeyhoney
  3. Bruce Springsteen
  4. The Black Keys
  5. Terra Firma



On the music, I feel I ripped off The Roots last week (as good as that HH track is), because all I really listened to was Undun. I finally found a track I could send you and this is it.

What I like about The Roots in general is their musical ability and their melodic hooks. As you probably know, they are the house band on Jimmy Fallon’s show. That musicality shows through on things like the ridiculously juicy bass rolls in this track Make My. Then you have a vocal crooning chorus that goes with the deep smooth bass of the verse rap.

This album is thematic and it all holds together nicely as an expression of both inner-city violence for subject matter and a blueprint of more melodic, mature and important hip hop music. I don’t know how much you guys hear of people like Drake or Odd Future, but there’s no substance to it all and it sounds plastic and manufactured to go with the misogyny and homophobia. The Roots is how it should be done.

Ciao Bambinos
Tah tah for now kids. Have a terrific weekend and remember not to get hung up; be cool.

Hasala malakim.

No comments:

Post a Comment