Thursday, December 1, 2011

Playlist : December 5th - 9th, 2011

Hello and welcome to Work Tunes.

Just a really super quick one this week because I've been away all weekend down South. I chose these albums hurriedly before I left.

Disc two of Springsteen's Tracks was an easy choice. After a Velvets kick last month I felt like some New York Dolls. The new Hilltop Hoods song made me get all mooshy for Skip Hop, so there's some Cross Bred Mongrels (featuring now DJ for the Hoods, Dj Debris) and Terra Firma. Honeyhoney I discovered last week, so I'm giving them a go along with Summer Camp who I also recently found. New Black Keys, old Joanna Newsom, The Low Anthem and the always excellent Gil-Scott Heron and we're done.

  1. The Rolling Stones
  2. Pixies
  3. Bob Dylan
  4. Bruce Springsteen
  5. James Brown
    Song of the Week : Hilltop Hoods - I Love It (featuring Sia)



    In all likelihood, if I could get hold of a copy, this week's SOTW would be off The Roots' forthcoming album Undun. I've been streaming it once a day all week from NPR. But, no leaks and no release yet means I have to go with something else. This something else is pretty damn great too. And speaking of no release, the Hilltop Hoods album that I Love It is from doesn't drop until February. Right around the time that I'm off to see my very first Hilltop show and also to see Radams with two of you lovely people. Jamie if it isn't too soon post-baby, grab a ticket for the show ($40.80) at Capitol on Feb 3 and I'll meet you there. I wasn't going to go, feeling as I am too old for a packed crowd full of homeboys, but damn it I love these guys.

    And that's why I chose this song in lieu of The Roots. Hilltop are without a doubt the pinnacle of Oz rap. These guys dragged the mainstream in without losing their original fanbase and everything they've done since The Calling has been untouchable. Record sales, first oz hip hop #1, highest placing rap song ever on JJJ, Arias galore. This song doesn't seem to have fallen off the pace either. That fantastic Sia hook and the usual larrikin lines from the lads has already made the song the #1 iTunes release last week. I don't listen to broadcast radio any more, but I'm guessing JJJ is killing this already. So I apologise if you've heard it on air a million times. I can only hear it when I play it - which is a lot!

    Gotta Go
    Thanks for stopping by. Hope you're weekend was a good one. I need to go sleep mine off.

    Hasala malakim.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment